Studying Islamic Finance

السلام والازدهار العدالة المجتمعي
You are visiting a blog associated with an online noncredit course studying the topic of Islamic Finance, moderated by John Wiley Spiers. Feel free to participate in our discussion, and if you are interested in taking the course visit http://www.johnspiers.com/Islamic_Finance/Welcome.html

Friday, September 27, 2013

My Hijab

Last weekend had some pretty grim stories out of the Middle East of the terror killing of many Christians, among others.  Add to that the Kenya Mall assault and it was an uncomfortable weekend to be Muslim in America.

I saw this flying in and out of LA in which families whose wives/mothers wearing the hijab appeared quite uncomfortable, what with avoiding eye contact and the nervous, awkward way they negotiated the tight spaces on the plane etc.  At LAX I saw three fellows in full mufti looking for something halal for lunch.  Conspicuous.

I regretted this collateral damage to terror activity, and a few days later I walked to my local market, wearing a hat I threw on that said simply Catholic.  Not Catholic U or Catholic High, just Catholic.  I forget where I got it, but I got strained looks and curious service.

I think people believe these fights are over religion, and when they erupt, blame all religion for not keeping the peace.  This is curious, and example of social conditioning.  The reason for these fights is real estate, not religion.  Always has been, always will be.

Please feel free to share this post with three of your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment